Wednesday, December 17, 2008

12/17/08 - MU - Intrathecal Chemo #2

Yesterday, Tuesday 12/16/08 around 4:30, I received my second dose of intrathecal chemotherapy. My father took the pictures. For my first Intathecal Chemotherapy post, I was smiling in one of the posts, and someone commented on that. Well, Uncle Bill, I'm smiling in a lot of these pictures, and so is Lisa, my Physician's Assistant (PA). Not to make light of my condition, but as you can see from the smiles, some very stressful moments... (not)


Shaving Reservoir area



Cleaning Reservoir area



Extracting CSF



Injecting Intrathecal Chemotherapy (click to enlarge)

As I mentioned in my first Intrathecal Chemotherapy post, because the CSF occupies a relatively small area, some is first drawn off, and then the chemo drug (depocyte) is administered. This time, Lisa drew off about 7mL of CSF. They tend to add back less liquid so there isn't an overall surplus, so just imagine that she added about 6mL of chemo drug.

The extra CSF is tested Microscopically (not possible via other imaging techniques) for cancerous cells that may be suspended and indicate a disease spread. Lisa gave me the test results of the last CSF sample (collected 12/04/08), and it was negative for cancerous cells. Good news...

Oh yes, Carson, I did ask why they administered more traditional chemotherapy before this new round of intrathecal chemotherapy. The reason was because early on, my CSF showed no potential spread of the disease within it. So they had no reason to approach my treatment from that angle...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark...

WOW...this is good news you're sharing. Sure the treatment is no fun, but they (treatments) are doing the job, and that is what counts!! Of course, continued prayers for continued healing through all of these treatments.....and you still look GREAT!

Are you wearing that Penn State cap or are we going to have to send you our Gator cap?....ha ha! Heard Paterno is signing a 3 year extension..yikes!

The fuzzy critters are adorable! Now why couldn't one of us think of that creature (and make a zillion dollars)?

Tell your Dad (and Karen) hello...would love to see him. Otherwise, tell him to call...

Much love and blessings this Christmas Season.

The Gregorys

12/17/2008 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

I guess that makes sense. Hindsight is always 20/20, right?

Carson

12/18/2008 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Always following your news but not good at posting comments. This is definitely the time to catch up! We are truly amazed at the medical marvels and your communication of treatment. Our thoughts are prayers are always with you.

Lots of Rose Bowl stuff showing up in the stores. Let us know if you need something. I'm sure Gator country doesn't offer a good selection. In the meantime --

Merry Christmas to you and Laura (and Karl, the monkeys, and the microbes). Go State!

Oh, yea be sure your Dad shares his box of Sarris with you. It's on the way!

Love -- Lu & Gene

12/19/2008 2:20 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Mary,

I might have to wear a PSU shirt to my next treatment... Have a great Christmas!

-Mark

12/19/2008 7:38 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Carson,

Yeah, that hindsight thing... 'wish we could know about it sooner...

-Mark

12/19/2008 7:40 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Lu & Gene,

Yeah, we already have Rosebowl shirts that were sent from up north, but thanks anyhow...

Have a great Christmas!

-Mark

12/19/2008 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home