Sunday, November 30, 2008

11/30/08 - MU - Ommaya Flow Study

Now that my Ommaya Reservoir is implanted, my doctors will conduct a "Flow Study" to see if it is functioning properly. I have three appointments in the coming week where this will hopefully be accomplished. Once done, I'd imagine that it won't be long until I receive intrathecal chemotherapy (mostly confined to my cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)).

The Flow Study will be performed by injecting a dye (radioactive?) into my Reservoir and seeing if it circulates down my spine and up around my brain. Presumably, the time to do this will be measured to determine a Flow Rate. When this is an acceptable value, then I'll likely make an appointment to receive intrathecal chemotherapy. There is a "filter" called the blood/brain barrier which will prevent most of this drug from entering my bloodstream.

Tuesday, I have an appointment early in the morning and late in the afternoon. In between, I hope to see my neuro oncologist, to see how things are going. He's apparently booked-up on Tuesday, so I don't have an official appointment... On Wednesday of this week, I have an appointment to get my staples removed from my scalp from my operation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home