Thursday, December 31, 2009

12/31/09 - On Coldness...

I've said it before, I'm sensitive to cold, especially after my cancer treatments. So, this post is basically poking fun at myself.

I grew up outside of Pittsburgh, PA, and I stayed there until I was 24. So, I encountered some pretty cold times in the past. Just that upbringing should bring me embarrassment now. I remember one time when my brother and I broke through a portion of a frozen creek (only about 2.5' deep, but we were probably 4.5' tall at the time), we played in the creek's ice water for what seemed like hours... There are MANY other instances of being out in the very cold weather that I can cite.

Fast-forward 30 Years. When I rode my "hog" up to Walmart, the temperature was in the mid-50s. I dressed as if it was 20 degrees colder. On top, a regular T-shirt, a heavy long-sleeved one, and a heavy fleece. On the bottom, long underwear and jeans, and normal tennis shoes. I also wore gloves, as I thought the windchill created by riding my bike might be hard to endure (ok, just cold).


My cycling outfit from 12/23

I have many friends spread throughout the country that should laugh at this. Colorado, Utah, Pennsylvania(of course), Connecticut and more. About 10 days ago, I was talking to a friend in Hartford, CT, and I mentioned it was 67 degrees in my living room, he laughed and said his thermostat was SET at 67. Laura recently talked to one of her aunts in Delaware, and she said that she set her thermostat to 63 degrees. Wow, I guess I need to tolerate more cold...

Right now, it is 60. Tonight, for New Year's Eve, they are forecasting 63 degrees with a 30% chance of rain. (That's cold)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...have lived in Florida since 1950 -- can only say this: When Florida is warm, it's very warm; when Florida is cold, it's VERY cold. It's the dampness that brings the 'CHILL' to our bones, Mark....sorry!

There are so FEW cold days, as you know, and we get to enjoy so much warmth in lieu of the shoveling, working or driving in snow....

Now that 63 degrees doesn't seem too bad, huh! Get out the electric blanket (if the moths haven't eaten it...lol).

Love you guys,

The Gregory Clan

1/01/2010 12:10 AM  
Blogger David Galloway said...

Oh my goodness, you made me laugh with this. We set our thermostat to 63 during the day and 67 at night ;-)

Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1/01/2010 6:11 AM  
Blogger Big Monkey said...

Mary,

Mark received an electric blanket for Christmas this year! I'll hide some moth balls in the lining because I know how much he enjoys the smell of them. ;) Sometimes when Mark complains about being cold in the house, he's wearing a light t-shirt and shorts, so Laura will scold him to put some more clothes on...duh!

Happy New Year!
- Big Monkey

1/01/2010 7:12 AM  
Blogger Wonderlump said...

Parky...Hope you remember how to pronounce "Crick"!
10 Day forecast for Conn. says it MIGHT get ABOVE freezing next Wednesday...maybe as high as 34!!
And did I mention I'm wearing shorts?

1/01/2010 9:16 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Mary,

Thanks. As Laura says below, I did get an electric blanket for Christmas (from Scott). I've used it, but dare I admit - I was hot. So, it hasn't been that cold... Can't believe I said that!

-Mark

1/01/2010 10:45 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

David,

'Glad you laughed! Also, I appreciate your thermostat settings - a strange statement in itself!

Thanks,
Mark

1/01/2010 10:49 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Ed,

I can still pronounce "crick" correctly. I'm also making a conscious effort to handle cold temps better.

-Mark

1/01/2010 10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pittsburghean (sp?),

Although I was born in Pgh, I was reared in the south. I can mimi "crick" but the one I cannot mimic is the way the Pittsburgh clan says "telephone pole" -- it's great!

Oh, how I ribbed my cousins from Pgh when they would visit us in Florida throughout the years! Great memories for me....sorry you younger folks missed out.

....and Mark...glad the electric blanket works! Scott knew what he was doing!! Good thinking, Scott! Keep those moth balls handy, Velike!

Have a super, duper NEW YEAR everyone!

The Gregory Clan

1/01/2010 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home