Friday, August 10, 2007

08/10/07 - Pittsburgh Trip - Cancelled

I should be in Tampa International Airport right now, waiting for my 5:00 departure for Pittsburgh. Instead, I'm at home updating my site. I want to apologize again to those were coming from out of town, plus the hosts of the get-togethers that were planned around my trip.

I found out this morning around 9:30-10:00 that my blood counts were low and dropping. My Doctor and his assistant recommended against the trip strongly. I ignored their advice at first, saying I would still make the trip, but upon further consideration, I had to cancel it for health reasons (my poor counts). Unfortunately, this all happened last minute, which I strongly regret.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but my assumptions never hold true. I just had my first transfusion during my last 8 week chemo cycle. My two transfusions during this 8 week cycle may easily become three if my counts get lower, and that is new. It sure seems like treatment is getting worse.

On the positive side, I am feeling alright despite my counts.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mark & Laura,

I'm so very sad that your trip had to be postponed again!! But you are wise in making the decision that is best for health purposes! We must be practical here, and I think you are doing the right thing as the doctors have advised you.

In regards to your transfusions....if it is required for another one, then so be it. It's all for your progress in getting better.

Keep your focus on getting better, and always keep a positive and believing attitude. You're still in our constant prayers.

Mary & Bill Gregory

8/10/2007 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough break, Mark. Pittsburgh and your friends and family will wait for you, though, and no one would want you to travel if it might make you sick. You made the right move. Airplane circulation systems are cesspools.

Carson

8/12/2007 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Again, sorry about the trip to The Burgh, but you certainly made the right decision to stay home. No sense making rash decisions.
It was great talking with you on the phone (then talking about you afterwards...ha ha). The gang came up with a lot of funny stories about our PSU days. We never get tired of talking about our shameless antics! Believe me when I say you were there in spirit!!
Just let me know when the next trip is planned and we will certainly make the trip.
We will talk soon!!

Mel

8/13/2007 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mark and Laura,

I'm sorry to hear that your trip was postponed. Mark, I am glad to hear that you feel OK - and I am also glad that you are following the Drs advice.

Ok- Carson's "cesspool" comment above makes me a little sick as I have been on some flights in the last weeks myself. Yuck. He's right though. But yuck, really. :-)

I can't wait to see the both of you when you are able to reschedule. Until then, please know that I am thinking of you both.

Tricia

PS- Hey it is almost football season! :-)

8/13/2007 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Football season. That's right. OK then... GO BLUE!

Right, Mark? 8-)

Carson

8/14/2007 1:23 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Mary & Bill,

Thanks again for your encouragement.

Carson,

Yeah, planes are pretty bad. If I could have just snapped my fingers and been there... That's right, GO BLUE and WHITE!

Melvin,

No wonder I thought people were talking about me... Ahem, it was nice talking to you and everyone else.

Tricia,

Good to hear from you. Good luck with your new house... was I supposed to say that?

8/21/2007 2:41 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Tricia,

I was just informed that a different Tricia (not in PA) is about to get a new house. Please forget that part of my previous comment...

Mark

8/22/2007 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home