Monday, August 06, 2007

08/04/07 - Transfusion III

I had to have another blood transfusion on Saturday. I had to get 6 units of platelets (I learned that multiple platelet units can share 1 bag) and I had to get 2 units of red blood cells. At least the hospital is not very busy on Saturday.


So, we were at the hospital from about 12:30PM until about 5:30PM. A far cry from the overnight, nearly 17 hour stay of my first transfusion. The "Fusion Center" is a nice place, but you don't want to spend a lot of time there. Besides my recent transfusions, I also receive my chemotherapy there.


Below is a picture of the platelet IV running into my chemo port. The port is in my chest as I described it in my last platelet transfusion post.


As I said earlier, the Fusion Center is not bad. Laura and I were more prepared this time with reading materials and MP3 players. She read a lot, and I read a little. I was given Benadryl intravenously to fend off a negative reaction I had to the platelets during my first transfusion. Anyhow, the Benadryl pretty much made me sleep.

I hope that two transfusions in a row (this weekend and last) don't cancel my Pittsburgh trip. It would take a lot to cancel it, especially since I have more plans now. We'll see how it works out, as I'm scheduled to have my bloodcounts measured twice this week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,

Karma....now all those donations to the blood bank bus are coming back around!

8/09/2007 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home