Sunday, September 13, 2009

09/08/09 - Irony

Posted 9/14/09. So, I had the last month-and-a-half (before 9/8) off from treatment. Probably the best I have felt in three years (since initial diagnosis). But my outward appearance could fool you...

Internally, I am not doing so well. An MRI on August 4th found another tumor on my spine, and my doctors decided to give me some time off from treatment. Well, an MRI on September 8th, found that the tumor did grow as expected, and the disease (cancer) has spread into my lumbar (lower) spine.


The most recent MRI has the tumor indicated by red arrows

I was given four different treatment choices. I chose to receive a different intrathecal chemotherapy drug (methotrexate), and a drug that is supposed to inhibit blood vessel growth that may cut off nutrients and oxygen from the tumors.

Methotrexate is administered twice per week as its effectiveness doesn't last long. The drug that prevents blood vessel growth is administered once every two weeks, and can take several hours to deliver.

At first, this post contained more information about disease spread, but I want to confirm more facts before I post them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mark & Laura,

Thanks for the latest update, Mark, even though it was not the best news. Always make choices that you are content with when it comes to your treatment, and you are doing just that! It still amazes us how informed and up-to-date on all your facts.

As always, we are keeping you in our prayers and thoughts as you handle this newest treatment. You got rid of them before, and we will believe that you will get rid of them again. Fighting this "battle" is continuous, yet you must never forget we are there with you and keep you close to our hearts! You are an inspiration to ALL of us...

Hey -- do you think Penn State and Florida will be in the National Championship game this year???

As always,
The Gregory clan

9/15/2009 12:45 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Mary,

It will be interesting where Penn State and Florida end up... No predictions here.

Thanks,
Mark

9/17/2009 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home