Tuesday, June 23, 2009

06/23/09 - Radiation Treatments

Well, I've been through a week and a day of Radiation Treatments. They are administered on every business day (5 times per week). Although my doctor hasn't decided the total dose yet, he said there will likely be 20-22 treatments. I'm not receiving any chemotherapy during radiation, but I may receive some afterward.

First, my brain tumor is treated. A "field" is a dose of radiation - an amount and position to administer it to. My brain receives 5 fields. I lay face-down on a table and the radiation machine can move in a circle around me. The table I'm on can also move.

My Spinal Tumor is also treated in the same session as my Brain Tumor. It receives 4 fields. In total, both the treatments take about 15 minutes. I can't feel them, although when certain parts of my brain are "shot," I can see a blue light even if my eyes are closed. I can also smell a strange "burning" scent, even though it is not there. Weird...

I hope to add a more detailed Radiation post in the near future...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

I just got caught up on your recent postings. As Myron Cope would say....YOI!

You have only one option..keep doing what you are doing, take the treaments, and just keep fighting this! (All while keeping a smile on your face and keeping you friends and family updated via this blog).
You have beat them before, and you will beat these 2 as well! Just keep pushing forward! You will get through this.
I'm glad you are getting out and about. You need time to take your mind off of this.

Melvin

6/24/2009 11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Wise words that Melvin shared...all I can say is "ditto"..........

Mary & Bill and the Gregory Clan

6/24/2009 7:55 PM  
Anonymous fred said...

Checkin in all the time Mark and praying you handle your radiation relatively "well".

I'm still diggin your reverse-mullet.

Tesla rocks!!

6/25/2009 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was googling Ommaya Resevoir and your blog showed up. My dad is going to get the OR put in Monday morning. He's been fighting Lymphoma since last year with one remission but it has spread to his spine. Thank you for providing detailed information and photos about the process and your own battle. It's inspirational to read and gives us hope. From Seattle, WA

6/28/2009 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

After reading the above remarks from Seattle, WA, I cannot think of anything greater than this feedback from people viewing your blog...you now know your process is an inspiration to others. Keep up the treatments, keep up your positive attitude, and now you know to keep up your blog page for others as well as yourself....Super response! Healing is always in our prayers fervently....

Take care, sweetie....

Mary & Bill Gregory

6/28/2009 8:39 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Melvin,

Thanks, Melvin! Yes, two more tumors to battle... Blog updates - stay tuned...

-Mark

6/30/2009 8:06 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Mary,

That is a big reason I try to have posts be as detailed as possible, for other patients to look at and somewhat know what to expect. It is nice to get some feedback!

-Mark

6/30/2009 8:13 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Fred,

Isn't Tesla still topping the charts? I've got some catching-up to do...

-Mark

6/30/2009 8:17 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Seattle,

Thank you for your comment! It is really nice to hear from another patient (or someone close to a patient). I'm glad my postings were able to help.

On several occasions, I heard that Ommaya Reservoirs were also implanted in some Lymphoma and Leukemia (?) patients. I have had no problems with mine, I don't expect your father will either. I think it has become a "routine" process (implantation and intrathecal chemotherapy) by now.

Another good source of information on drugs, disease, and anatomy (in my opinion) is Wikipedia.

Hopefully, you and your father will do well in his fight. Thanks again for your comment...

-Mark

6/30/2009 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home