Thursday, August 28, 2008

08/28/08 - Vacation Travels

Before leaving for my trip, I thought of tracking all of the places I visited via my handheld GPS unit. Unfortunately, I started doing this religiously during the second half of the trip. So, I went back and filled-in the missing tracks in Google Earth. The following maps showed were I was. Blue tracks were actual GPS data, and green tracks were ones that I drew in. The green tracks are very accurate, as I was able to use actual roads, railroad tracks, buildings, and landmarks - thanks Google Earth, which can be downloaded for free.

I flew into Philadelphia airport, to visit Laura's parents and friends in Wilmington, Delaware. Laura and I took a train to New York City for a partial family reunion on her side. Then we drove to Pittsburgh, where both Laura and I visited family and friends. She left after a week of vacation, and I stayed another week before flying out of Pittsburgh. The following map shows all of our travels but the flights (although I have them, to).


Our entire trip, except flights (Click to enlarge)

Here are our travels around Wilmington. There are several side trips that I didn't draw because I'm not as familiar with the area (and it was tedious!).


Wilmington, Delaware

These are our travels around New York City. We took a train from Wilmington that took about 2 hours each way - A nice experience. In NYC, we looked at some sites, ate, and took a three-hour boat tour around Manhattan Island. The weather was nice, and the trip was exceptional.


New York City

Finally, we were in Pittsburgh. Laura and I were able to see some friends and family. After being busy for the first part of the trip, I chose to relax a bit, which was nice in comparison.


Pittsburgh

Stay tuned for more vacation posts. I have to narrow-down those 900+ photos...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott thinks Mark is following him, around the northeast tour.

8/29/2008 10:36 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I couldn't catch that Blimp!

8/30/2008 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home