Monday, May 24, 2010

05/20/10 - MRI Images (aka - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly)

Posted 5/24. Before I go on, here are images of basic spinal anatomy (thanks, Wikipedia). Hopefully they will help you identify the areas of the spine that I am referring to. The letters/numbers are standard Medical Terminology (aka Doctor Speak) that determine specific vertebra in the spine. Again, click on ANY picture to enlarge it.

Basic spinal anatomy

Last Thursday, I had MRIs taken at Moffitt. I have basically been having them done every two months to track my disease for the better part of the last year. This time was special, though. I got to see the results of radiation treatments to my T5/6 tumor on my spinal cord. The results (shown below) were great! The radiation seems to have completely eliminated that tumor! :)

The Good - Radiation seems to have eliminated this (T5/6) tumor!

The "good MRI image" shown above was an exception to the other MRI images... The next one showed that my L4 "lesion" was getting worse, and there may be a lesion starting to grow on my L2 vertebra. :(

The Bad - L4 lesion and potential "growing" lesion on L2

In the next MRI Image, I have labeled the five areas that are "not so good." They are all visible in the image, except for the potential L2 lesion which is shown above. No wonder my lower back hurts! 8(

The Ugly - A lot of activity is going on in my lower spine

So what's next? I am going to meet with my radiation oncologist tomorrow afternoon to see what radiation treatments he will recommend. About two weeks ago, he already recommended treating my 3(?) T12 Tumors, I guess I will find out tomorrow what else he may treat...

Some more information about my L4 lesion. It puts me at greater risk of a vertebral fracture. Radiation treatment could increase this risk. I may have to get spinal surgery, even rods implanted in my back, to resolve this problem. Once again, I'll find out more tomorrow. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You know that Clint Eastwood kicks ass in this movie, right? That's the right attitude.

When you want to take your mind off of things, look me up on Skype. I'll tell you about life in India.

5/25/2010 4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to hear about the good, not happy about the bad and the ugly!
Rich has 2 more chemo's to go and 15 more radiations. Then a 6 week break to see if any of this worked.
Last Monday a car drove through our business, see pix on Rich's carepage or blog, so chemo and radiation seemed liked a break. Rich' has chemo for 6 hours, so he napped through the whole thing, funny to go to chemo to rest-lol
Please post what you find out today. Great job on the images and info you posted. Really helps to understand what's going on with you. Praying for you, Lisa
btw, you are way tougher than Clint Eastwood :)

5/25/2010 9:51 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Carson,

If I had time right now, I might look for a picture of Clint. I will take you up on that Skype offer...

-Mark

5/25/2010 11:06 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Lisa,

Thanks! I hope Rich does well throughout and after treatments! I said it before, but I finally did it... A link to Rich's blog is now to the right of my blog text! Gotta go for now (to get ready for follow-up with radiation oncologist)...

-Mark

5/25/2010 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Mark!!

Been out of the "computer loop" for about a week now, only that have been busy, and God knows, we've talked about how computer time can take away from normal, regular and routine things!!!

Clint Eastwood doesn't have one thing over you, big guy! Kicking butt is okay when it comes to the "BIG 'C'" treatments -- you've done it before and you'll do it again! After all, Big Monkey tells me he's watching you carefully and making sure you're doing all you're supposed to be doing!

Just remember we're praying and keeping you in our thoughts! Enjoying the posts more than ever!

Much love,

Mary, Bill and the Gregory Clan

5/25/2010 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Mark - saying some extra prayers for you. I hope the docs go ahead and make your day (sorry for the groaner) and give you some good options. Couldn't help it with the Clint Eastwood theme going here.

We're in Calgary, Alberta now, Tom's 2 treatments in to his consolidation round of chemo - and is scheduled to receive his stem cells back on Monday May 31. We are thinking of you!

Keep the faith, and keep kicking a**.

Marilyn F. of Regina, SK (Canada)

5/25/2010 8:32 PM  
Blogger Big Monkey said...

You are way cooler than Clint because he was never asked to be on the cover of Chimps and Gimps...LOL!

5/26/2010 4:29 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Marilyn,

I hope Tom is doing better! Sorry for the late reply!

-Mark

6/13/2010 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home