Tuesday, March 30, 2010

03/30/10 - Radiation #1 of 13 Treatments

I had my first radiation treatment for my T5/6 spinal tumor this afternoon. There will be a total of 13 daily (business days only) treatments, likely ending April 15th. My radiation oncologist is not yet concerned about treating my lower (T12) tumors.

This is the fourth time I have received radiation treatments, so nothing is new to me here... I'm sure I've said this before, but you can only receive so much radiation, and each treatment increases the chance of serious injury. The reaction can vary patient by patient. Many big unknowns. So the doctor is predicting my best treatment plan. I have a lot of faith in his abilities. :)

Today's radiation treatment lasted about 5 minutes, and was painless. Hopefully, the other twelve sessions will go as well (they likely will). I don't expect any side effects, but there may be an increase in fatigue, pain, whatever. If there are are any, I expect them to be minimal.

Next step after radiation will be to see how effective it was on MRI images which were just scheduled by Moffitt to occur on May 20th. After that, I'll probably be "rewarded" with more chemotherapy, :).

UPDATE : Not important, just wanted to mention that the reference marks near my arm pits were not tattooed. The mark on my spine was. Yes, it hurt! For more information about these tattoos and reference marks, please see my recent "Radiation Simulation" post.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark - We have a good feeling the Radiation will finally wipe this cancer out of your spine once and for all!

Keep up with your positive thoughts. We'll do the same for you!
Love,
Rico & Di

3/31/2010 8:18 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Rico & Di,

Thanks for your positive comment, I appreciate it! Hmmm... Maybe I could blow it up with a dry ice bomb... Nah, too much secondary damage to my body... :)

-Mark

3/31/2010 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,Mark:

We'll keep you in our daily prayers, that the radiation will do its job, and they won't need to 'reward' you with more chemo!

The pics are great, and I think anyone reading who has upcoming radiation or port installation, would feel that the process was de-mystified and less scary - great work!

Keep hanging in there!

Your Canadian Fans, Marilyn and Tom

3/31/2010 11:11 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Marilyn & Tom,

Thanks for the comment! I try to keep my medical posts detailed, with hopes that they will help someone...

-Mark

4/01/2010 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

You know how supportive I've been with your blog -- the news, updates, and all the detailed information. Sometimes I do get dizzy trying to view and make heads or tails from your charts, but I know you put a lot of work into all of this blog posting! It is most interesting as well as informative.

It is good for all of us -- your family members, your friends, and those who are interested in reviewing your case. Please don't stop, even though you may get mad at the old computer now and then.

I had surgery myself last week -- had half of my thyroid removed. Several nodules with one being the size of a large grape. I did get my good news today that everything is okay and no further surgery is needed. AND...you know we'll all be praying that your immediate radiation treatments will do the same for you. Never stop believing, Mark, and you know ALL of us will be behind you all the way.

Thanks for the updates...sorry I haven't been up to doing much computer work, so just trying to catch up myself.

Love to you and Laura (and the Sock Monkey family),

The Gregory Clan members

4/02/2010 7:59 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Mary,

I'm glad to hear you are doing well after your thyroid operation, I hope that you feel better soon!

I did have a "storm" of posts over a few days, just playing catch-up, although that game will be endless... You know that I'm glad about all of your comments!

Oh, enjoy your new neighbors (Lu & Gene)!

-Mark

4/06/2010 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home