Monday, April 27, 2009

04/21/09 - Intrathecal Chemo #7 - Delayed

Posted 4/27/09. I was scheduled to receive my seventh intrathecal chemotherapy dose last Tuesday/ 4/21. My Neuro-Oncologist gave me the option to delay it for two weeks, given my recent issues. I chose to delay it a week.

Why a week? Well, my COBRA health insurance will run out on April 30th - two days after my rescheduled intrathecal chemo tomorrow (the 28th). After that, I may be in a state of "health insurance limbo" and it's definitely enough risk that I don't want medical expenses during that time. Besides my COBRA health insurance, I also have Medicare Parts A and B, so I will at least have those two as a back-up plan. I'm trying to get on Laura's medical insurance, which is likely my best option for coverage.

Medicare is a different kind of animal. If it becomes my only health care, I will likely have difficulty obtaining a Supplemental (Medigap) plan. That is a type of plan that picks up a lot of other medical expenses that parts A and B do not cover. Unfortunately, it caters to those that are 65+ (I'm disabled), supposedly people diagnosed with cancer over the past TWO years (I was re-diagnosed in September 08) aren't entitled to Supplemental coverage, and having more than 2 hospital admissions recently (I've had 3 admissions in last month or so). There are some questionable loopholes to get Supplemental coverage, but they are uncertainties that I don't want to risk. I will also need to get a Part D plan to cover prescription drug expenses.

Whether I'm able to get on Laura's plan, or I'm faced with selecting extra Medicare plans, I will keep Medicare Parts A and B. I do have to pay for part B, which some may consider to be extraneous, but once you have it, it can be difficult or impossible to reinstate if you cancel it.


Post a Comment

<< Home