Thursday, October 22, 2009

09/18/09 - Engagement Ring

Posted 10/22/09. Laura and I have been dating an embarassingly long time, which I'm sure I prolonged. I'm sure she wanted to make our relationship official a long time ago. Our first date was 05/11/96. Wow! Yeah, being the photo person, I do have a photo of it.


Our first date

So, I have no car and I do not to go to any stores to avoid exposing myself to swine flu, of which I'm a member of the "do not expose yourself group." So, I set out to make a ring. There's an abandoned house down the street from myself where I "borrowed" some pieces of bamboo.


Local bamboo patch

Next I sawed it and sanded it until it was the size of her finger. I did a little experimenting, and it worked pretty well. Too bad I don't have the where with all to finish my shed/workshop "man cave", I might be able to go into production...


Preparation of the ring

Oh, I almost forgot the crystal. It was one of Big Monkey's earrings. (We replaced them after I gave her the ring.) It worked very well!


The bamboo ring

We went down to the Crystal Beach pier, and she accepted the ring. It was a total surprise, accept I had asked for her parents' permission.

Oh yes, a few days later, Laura went to the store and used a bit of plastic to purchase a proper ring...

The REAL ring

15 Comments:

Blogger David Galloway said...

Congratulations!

You have no idea how much I love the bamboo ring idea. You always were awesome with the home-made stuff. I still laugh about the blowgun that you made out of a piece of copper tubing! At least THIS project was for a much better purpose ;-)

10/23/2009 12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Its about time!!

Such awesome news, congratulations!

Rico

10/23/2009 1:11 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

David,

Glad you appreciate the bamboo!

Thanks!
Mark

10/23/2009 2:19 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Rico,

While I was looking for the photo of our date, I saw the picture of you Di when you visited around then. I remember the weather being nice on the day you left... Sorry.

Thanks!
Mark

10/23/2009 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark & Laura -
Hugs and Kisses to you both, Congratulations!

Love,
Di (Iacchetti)

10/23/2009 4:31 PM  
Anonymous fred said...

That's awesome you guys! Congrats!

10/23/2009 8:20 PM  
Blogger willis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10/24/2009 11:31 AM  
Blogger willis said...

This is a really nice story. Too bad you can't put the actual diamond in such a nicely-hewn bamboo ring. or maybe you can?! Sincere congratulations to both of you -- where are the pics?

10/24/2009 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mark and Laura!!!

That is great news!!

Melvin

10/26/2009 2:42 PM  
Blogger George said...

Sweet Marcus! Congratulations! I still see you like to make things. I'm surprised that there were no electronics involved like all of your other contraptions, but the ring is truly great! Next time, consider attaching it to a huge sling shot and catapulting it to Laura tied to a dry ice bomb that will explode on impact to get her attention....oh, wait, we did things like that back in the day at PSU. Take care. Hope all is well. Miss ya' in the 'Burgh.

Geo

10/27/2009 10:12 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Di,

Thanks for the comment!

-Mark

10/27/2009 3:56 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Fred,

Thanks! See I eventually got to post something...

-Mark

10/27/2009 3:58 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Willis,

It took me long enough to make the first bamboo ring... Maybe if I have more time.

Thanks!

-Mark

10/27/2009 4:05 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Melvin,

Thanks for the Comment! I guess it was time I made/got one...

-Mark

10/27/2009 4:15 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

George,

Electronics - good idea. Slingshot and bomb - maybe too severe... Thanks for your comments, glad you appreciated the ring.

Thanks!
Mark

10/27/2009 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home