Thursday, June 18, 2009

06/02/09 - Buffalo Humps and Moon Faces

"What's up with the double-chin?" That's what my brother said when he visited a few weeks ago. He likely hadn't seen me since Christmas. When I was at Moffitt on 6/02, I just had to ask my Neuro-oncology PA about it. I had also noticed that there appeared to be more fat cells at the base of my neck when you look via MRIs.

She confirmed that it was a side effect of taking steroids (more on those in a separate post to come). Taking them would likely cause me to have a "moon" face and "buffalo hump." She confirmed that mine weren't that bad. I've been taking a daily dosage of steroids since my March hospital admittances (3). Steroids prevent inflammation, so when I was having issues in March, my chemotherapy drug dosage was reduced and my steroid dosage was increased to taking at least one per day...

Buffalo Humps. Apparently, a fatty deposit that will build up around your shoulders if you take steroids often. In the attached MRI images, you can see the fat cells as white "blobs" (a highly technical term, :) ). See, I thought something was going on there...




Buffalo Hump, note dates

Moon Face. Hmmm... I didn't notice this one until my brother told me. Comparing a picture of my face taken last August 13th, versus one taken at Moffitt on June 2nd, the difference is more apparent.


Moon Face. Again, note dates

Just another reason to hopefully get off of the steroids. Unfortunately, they do appear to do well at reducing inflammation, which has worked well for me in the past...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's when we must take the bad with the good!! And as things are going for you, we'll take the "moon face" and humps along with the good! You still look great; tell Scott "it's the new look." lol

Hey, I'm excited -- Big Monkey asked invited me to be his friend on FB....uh oh....better not tell Bill! He could get jealous!

Keep up the good work, Mark...we're praying fervently for you during all of this treatment....

Much love,
The Gregory Clan

6/18/2009 9:13 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Mary,

"The new look" - I like that!

-Mark

6/19/2009 5:44 AM  
Blogger Big Monkey said...

His hump, his hump... his lovely buffalo hump!

6/19/2009 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home