Wednesday, November 28, 2007

11/20/07 - Medical Update

I'm posting this on the 28th, even though I dated the title the 20th. I wanted to fill some comments in...

The day after chemo, on Sunday, November 4th, I received an injection of Neulasta to increase my white blood cell count. It should ultimately prevent or delay a low white blood cell (WBC) count, where I have a weakened immune system and have to take antibiotics... There is no WBC transfusion.

I went to my PCP on the 19th, and he drew some blood and spoke to me about my high cholesterol. I haven't been taking any cholesterol medication since October 22nd, and my levels have been climbing. I changed my diet a little, but to no avail. This whole thing started because my oncologist noticed that liver counts were high... The cholesterol medication I was taking at the time (Zocor) was supposedly the culprit, and that's why I was told to stop taking it on October 22nd.

So, now I find myself with high cholesterol as well as being treated for a brain tumor. The high cholesterol has been a diversion I want to drop, but it's at a level that I'll have to deal with it. Ho hum...

As of November 20th, my WBC counts were still high enough to not require any action.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mark,

So now you're dealing with choles.!!! Believe me, sweetie, we all do at one point in our lives!! But, your blood count is very important, and I'm sure they will take care of that along with your choles. Keep the faith and know it will level out soon.

We miss your recent postings, but know you have better things to do than constantly keeping us updated. When you do, though, we truly appreciate your taking the time to inform us of the latest. We'll be patient, for God knows you have to be dealing with patience in your entire ordeal.

Say hello to your Dad and Karen...know you're enjoying their time with you. Take care and know you're constantly in our prayers...

Mary & Bill Gregory & family

11/29/2007 8:47 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Mary, Bill and Family,

Thanks for your comments. I do appreciate everyone you leave. You're right, if I'm not updating my blog, I'm busy with something else. I do try to keep the blog accurate, it just may be a matter of time. Hopefully, not much...

Thanks Again,
Mark

11/29/2007 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home