Thursday, April 01, 2010

04/01/10 - Why I Blog About My Illness

Initially, I started to blog about my disease to keep concerned family members, friends, and co-workers updated about my current status instead of answering the same questions over and over via phone calls and emails. That still holds true to this day, still referring people to my blog for answers...

I guess sometime after my operation, I added another reason - to help other patients that may be in the same or a similar battle with cancer. Admittedly, there was a time after my brain surgery where I "didn't like my computer" (I really didn't) and stopped updating my blog for about 4-5 months. But I still did take pictures of what I was going through, and I hope to post them here in the future.

Back to helping other patients. In my medical posts, I try to make sure they contain accurate information. I also try not to inject my opinion, but it does come through at times, when I feel strongly about an issue. I add other non-medical posts to hopefully keep readers somewhat entertained. When I think back, I believe that I recently tried to separate medical and non-medical posts in their titles, but I dropped that. The subject material should differentiate the two... :)

I do appreciate anyone that looks at any part of my blog and your support. I especially appreciate comments, if you choose to leave them, but if you don't, that's okay, too. In the recent past I tried to answer all comments. Don't feel bad if I don't answer them in the future, as treatments, or whatever, may prevent me from answering. Rest assured that I read and appreciate every comment even if I don't respond.

Just something I wanted to mention, so people don't feel left out. :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you keep us updated. I can totally understand trying to tell EVERYONE the same info repetatively over the phone would drive anyone batty.

On a new front, I heard of a new treatment you might wanna try.

Consuming 27 Miller Lights while absorbing 9 hours of sunshine while observing lots of never-before-seen-to-you biology....followed by 2 double half-pound cheeseburgers!

BILLLLLLLY

4/04/2010 6:57 AM  
Blogger Big Monkey said...

Biology? I'm thinking he means anatomy.

4/05/2010 7:28 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Billy,

I appreciate your comments and alternative treatment plan, no one would suspect that you were a Registered Nurse, but the Locomotive Engineer may have crept out!

I may have a (small beef) cheese burger every now and then, but not the other options...

-Mark

4/06/2010 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your blog frequently, and think about you often :-) Your sense of humor makes me smile and I think all the info you give on your medical history and treatments is awesome! Love the pictures that go with it! Keeping you in my prayers - Camille

4/08/2010 1:45 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Camille,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your feedback!

-Mark

4/09/2010 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We read often to follow your progress. Gene and I are so proud of your journal. One day you will reflect upon your BLOG and know that you have helped others by telling your story. You will have a real sense of accomplishment. It's yours, no one else can write it. It is a masterpiece.

Love you,
Lu & Gene

4/15/2010 7:30 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

mark, i appreciate these updates and information. those of us considered otherwise "healthy" have NO concept of what you have to deal with day in and day out over these past years. As hard as my life is without Brian in it, your posts always remind me to try to be thankful that I still have my boys and our health. Thank you for sharing and putting it all out there. It is inspiring that you are dedicated to this, and through the blog have found another purpose - to help others who also may go through the same thing.

5/13/2010 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home