Sunday, October 25, 2009

10/13/09 - Platelet Transfusion

Posted 10/25. Well, I was supposed to receive intrathecal chemo 2.8 and avastin 3.0. Moffitt tests my blood counts before doing anything, and it turns out my platelets were at 10,000. Normal low 140,000. So, they were pretty low!

Instead of getting other treatments, I got a platelet transfusion. Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures. So, an old one will have to suffice...


6 units of platelets

My PA also prescribed a mouthwash with some lidocaine in it. Lidocaine helps minimize the pain of the ulcers when I brush my teeth.

My bloody noses and ulcers were side effects of the chemo and the avastin. For the time period, I'm not receiving any treatments to see how my blood counts react. Another side effect I forgot to mention was fatigue. I was not able to update my blog, answer my email, or so on...

8 Comments:

Anonymous fred said...

Only our imagination could try and understand what you're having to endure with all of this the past few years. I'm sure that I'm not alone when I say that I wish I could take some of that off of you and give you a break for a while. How cool would that be; if you're friends and family could share the load at the worst times? I know you must be tired of hearing it, but hang in there! We're all pulling for you to get through all this B.S..

10/26/2009 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Ditto to what Fred said!! I wish there was a way I could "walk in your shoes". Only then would I realize just how strong you are!!

Hang in there buddy!! You will get through this.

Melvin

10/26/2009 2:47 PM  
Blogger Big Monkey said...

I call dibs on getting the next round of 2-3 hour MRI's done. I've always wanted to see what my brain looks like.

10/27/2009 5:21 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Fred,

Thanks! Yeah it seems at strange times the weirdest things pop-up. Of course they tend to be side effects from my treatments,but they occur nonetheless. I wouldn't want to wish these on anyone, although there are some lesser effects...

-Mark

10/27/2009 3:47 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Melvin,

Thanks for your comment!

-Mark

10/27/2009 3:48 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Big Monkey,

Not the MRI post... You're brain must be shriveled!

-Mark

10/27/2009 3:52 PM  
Anonymous fred said...

B.M. HAS a brain?

10/29/2009 8:58 AM  
Blogger Big Monkey said...

Fred,

I'm deeply hurt by your comment...shocked...no, appalled.

10/29/2009 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home