Friday, October 03, 2008

10/03/08 - Quick MU - Brain Tumor Update

Yesterday, I talked to a physician's assistant (PA), and a nurse that spoke with my doctors. They seemed to think that this newest "brain tumor" was not so threatening, at least not now. The PA mentioned that it's likely a form of "subependymoma disease." Well, I looked it up on the internet (not all-knowing), and subepedymoma appears to be a type of brain tumor that is slow-growing and non-cancerous. Since my previous brain tumor was a quick-growing and cancerous medulloblastoma (which doctors first assumed was an ependymoma - they were only able to correctly determine the type after getting a sample during brain surgery and performing a biopsy on it) , I would guess that the new tumor is of the same type. Although technically still considered a "brain tumor" now I think of it as a precursor (start) of new tumor. I don't know enough to think otherwise. I will certainly post an MRI of the area of concern in the near future.

As far as my treatment goes, my radiation therapy is going to remain the same and start this Monday. I can't say the same about my chemotherapy because I just don't know yet...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Sorry I am just posting now. I just got caught up on your last few posts. Crikey's!! You have been busy.
Mark, you just need to fight anything thrown at you! Don't let this get you down. Continue to do your research, ask a lot of questions and challenge your Doctors. They are there for you!
Just keep forging ahead!!

Melvin

10/06/2008 3:18 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Melvin,

Thanks! Ironically, I was finally recovering (somewhat) from my last treatment... Now, I have to start the cycle again. Treatment is somewhat different, so I don't know what to expect yet!

-Mark

10/06/2008 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home