Tuesday, April 15, 2008

04/15/08 - Transfusion X

Thrombocytopenia - medical terminology for low platelets. I just learned that term because my oncologist's physician's assistant wrote it on my blood counts from Thursday, April 10th. The nurse that performed my transfusion last Saturday stated its meaning. The transfusion went fine, although I did have a few small hives - a temporary allergic reaction.


A unit of platelets.

Tiredness...

Saturday, I woke up early (around 6:ooAM). At my transfusion, I was "pre-medicated" with 50mg of Benadryl intravenously, which makes you feel very tired. Laura and I were home around 1:00PM, but had to leave for a friend's birthday party by 3:00. By the time we ate lunch, it was probably about 1:45. At that time, I battled for a couple of minutes to stay awake, but luckily I didn't go to sleep, because I might have missed the party. Strangely (to me), I thought we would have much more time before we had to leave for the party.

We made it to the surprise birthday party at 4:05PM and had a very good time until we left around 7:00. I didn't feel tired at all. Mind over matter...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I couldn't thank you enough for coming Mark. Hopefully it took your mind off things for a while, if nothing else. GREAT to see you and Laura again. Although you may not feel like it, you look fantastic!

4/16/2008 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,
Its Lisa from State College, I didn't realize you had this set up and I had to have Mel explain it to me. I will be sure to check in every now and then, we may be coming to Tampa in June, Maybe I come say hi and meet Laura! Take care! Thinking of you.
Lisa

4/17/2008 8:11 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Fred,

Again, great to go to your birthday party, we certainly enjoyed it! Thanks for the nice words.

-Mark

4/17/2008 9:22 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Lisa,

Nice to here from you! If you do make it to Tampa, let me know and we can try to get together...

-Mark

4/17/2008 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
We are coming to Tampa from the 15th until the 22nd of June. We will be staying in St. Pete. It would be great to see you!
I will email with details once it gets a bit closer.
Lisa

5/13/2008 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home