Monday, September 18, 2006

Monday 9/18 Evening Update

This is going to be a very quick update to be elaborated on tomorrow. There were two technical problems at the hospital today and the surgery had to be aborted. I was under anesthesia and they cut down to my skull, but then the problems occurred and they canceled the operation just prior to entering the skull. The problems were with their tools and their MRI, and they couldn't work blind.

Needless to say, I was very surprised to be coming out of anesthesia in ICU at 12:15PM. I was alert enough to know that something wasn't right and then the doctor told me it had to be postponed and it was a let down. He then mentioned that they would try again Tuesday, so I assumed tomorrow and felt a little better. Unfortunately, it is now scheduled for next Tuesday, 9/26. As if the last three weeks of waiting weren't enough...

I spent the rest of the day on antibiotic IVs in a hospital bed, but was able to come home until the next attempt. The back of my head is stapled together, and there are multiple other holes in my scalp. My mouth is entirely numb from being intubated and I was also catheterized for urination. After being at the hospital from 6:00AM until 6:00PM on 45 minutes of "sleep" you might imagine it wasn't a fun day. I am physically abused, exhausted, and disappointed, but it's all beyond my control. I'm still in good spirits, but I don't have the energy to contact anyone except via this note. My blog has some updates from today. It will be the SINGLE BEST place to keep track of everything.

PLEASE, DO NOT CALL OR TEXT MY CELL OR HOME PHONE UNTIL I HAVE NOTIFIED YOU I'M READY!

PLEASE TRY TO UNDERSTAND AND DON'T BE OFFENDED, GETTING BACK TO EVERYONE WOULD BE A DAUNTING TASK UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES!

I appreciate everyone's support, but today shows how quickly the circumstances can change. I am on high doses of steroids that create anxiety and the inability to sleep. And I'm also taking several antibiotics an pain killers. I went to sleep last night at 3:30AM, woke up at 4:15AM, left for the hospital at 4:45AM, went through admission at 6:00AM, operating room at 7:30AM, and then had my body put through a wringer. So, please do not call. Email is okay, or leave a comment on the Blog. I will be using my cellphone for outward features only and I will only be sending updates from it to the blog. It's the only way to not incur call backs.

I really do appreciate everyone's support and I guess I instigated some more by sending a global Email last night, but please stick with the blog. No doubt I will be able to Email more updates in the next few days and I will call those of you that I can, but I need a break for now.

Thanks,
Mark

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,
Hang in there. I read your updates this morning at work and have not been able to stop thinking about what you are going through. Just stay positive as you have been, that will help you more than anything. Thank you for the updates and you are in my thoughts.
Take care get some rest.
David

9/18/2006 10:36 PM  
Blogger LisaK said...

Mark, I have read Laura's e-mail and also your blog. I thought about you and Laura all day yesterday!! I am sorry you went through what you did, and I can't imagine having to do it myself. I know it must be hard but keep your spirit and strength up the best you can! I'll continue to keep up with everything through your blog. Thanks for taking the time, during such a draining time for you, to keep us informed! Take care and I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts! Take care and rest all you can!!
Lisa King

9/19/2006 8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... "abused, exhausted, and disappointed"... equipment issues, schedule changes, pain... this sounds almost like you were at work! I just wanted to let you know that Kevin and I have been sending positive vibes your way and are wishing you a speedy recovery. Thanks so much for your updates.
Take care!
Tresa

9/20/2006 9:29 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Tresa, interesting analogy...

Good to hear from you.

9/21/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Lisa,

Funny, I hate the word blog, but it's keeping me going.

-Mark

9/21/2006 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home