Monday, July 05, 2010

06/24/10 - Journey, Accident, Repair, Rescue... Part 1 (of 3!)

Started 7/5, posted 7/7. First of all, I was NOT injured (maybe my pride), but my hog was, cutting my journey short. Oh well, the full story to follow...

GPS track of my full journey, click image for larger view

Before I started, I did have a potential destination, but early-on my goal was to see an orangutan (at the Chimp Farm) before 9AM. Very difficult to do when you leave the house around 9:55AM, :). I did see that orangutan and several chimps by 10:22AM, however. Not that I'm bragging, but I bet none of my readers has seen an orangutan that early...

Orangutan, he is a big boy...

Onward! I headed further North on the trail. I was able to talk to my brother on my cellphone as I rode along, which was nice. Why was that special? Before I left the house (one of the reasons I didn't leave until 9:55), I made an experimental "wind screen" for the microphone on my cell's headset. It worked very well, as I could talk and ride, and he heard no wind noise at the other end...

I stopped at an office just off of the trail on my way North. It was Michael Baker Planners and Land Surveyors. I thought they might have some relation to a Michael Baker Engineering building at Penn State Beaver Campus, where I started college. According to their receptionist, there was no relation, and people had posed that question before.

Michael Baker's Office

Back on to the trail. I reached its northern extent and transferred to a sidewalk that paralleled "big" Route 19. At that point, Rte 19 is at least a 6 lane highway, but it has traffic-light controlled intersections every few blocks. Ironically, it was just a couple of miles from my apartment in Pittsburgh (after college), and the same road is just a couple of miles from my house in Florida.

The sidewalk is where my journey went kind of bad. A pedestrian was approaching me head-on, so I slowed-down and focused on where he was. Unfortunately, I took my eyes off of the sidewalk's surface. The sidewalk had a large hole in it, which stopped my hog very quickly. Luckily because of the pedestrian, I was only going 1-2 mph. The sudden stop made my chain pop-off its front sprocket, but I thought, "At least I don't have a flat tire." A few minutes (and photos) later, I was on my way with two greasy hands and a reseated chain.

The broken sidewalk, note linear scrapes on concrete, likely evidence of other victims

Another minute later, I made a right turn towards Northern Tool, one of my destinations. As I made the right, my front tire slid, it was flat. I thought that turn may have severely damaged the tube... Luckily, Northern Tool was close, so I pushed my trike there. Once there, I locked my hog to a trailer on their shaded side walk and went into the store...

Northern Tool from where the "accident" occurred

Will my hog be repaired? Will I make it home? Stay tuned for Part 2...

3 Comments:

Blogger Big Monkey said...

It's better that you delayed your start. I've noticed that orangutans like to sleep in during my early morning runs. I've never seen one "in action" like your photo demonstrates. He must have had his banana already that morning. o(:(])

7/08/2010 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, you leave your readers in suspense! Hurry up with part 2! -Camille

7/10/2010 7:14 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Camille,

I'm trying...

-Mark

7/11/2010 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home